Sunday, March 29, 2009

Belonging















This past week TVO has had an exceptional weeklong package of stories on belonging -- Belong or Bust: Where Do I Fit In?
I videotaped much of it and watched it in the early hours of the morning after work. Most of it concerned stories of immigration, preceded by Canadian hosts who all had individual stories to tell of being different. The photo above is from Ireland Park in downtown Toronto, a park I have not yet seen.
I have always been fascinated by people who come from 'somewhere else.' Canada and the United States wouldn't exist (as they are now) without people coming from 'somewhere else.'
And now I am considering becoming an immigrant myself to the U.K. -- even if for a short time -- if economic circumstances allow.
I found the programming and some of the ideas related fascinating. Several of the hosts remarked on how they resented being asked "Where are you from?" when, though they looked 'foreign', were born and raised in Canada. I find this resentment a little strange. I'm often asked where I'm from -- even in my hometown of Windsor -- and I'm your typical Caucasian. I've never resented it. Rather I thought it interesting. So, I'm not sold on that being a negative or condescending question.
TVO often has shows from Britain, and their quality is high. Meet The Immigrants, a documentary, covered several immigrants, taking varying paths into the U.K. A drama, White Girl, presented the story of an English family moving into an all Muslim neighbourhood in England --finding themselves a minority in their own country.
Thought-provoking. In the Immigrants, it amazed me that Britain goes to Romania to import taxi drivers. In all the stories, the U.K. is a beacon of hope. Surprising to me (though it shouldn't be) is how knowledgeable many are of the hardships they may face, yet they are so eager and thankful for the opportunity. Particularly touching was a young man from the Middle East who had lived in Birmingham for awhile and was trying to get back illegally through Calais, France. He spoke of Birmingham with unabashed tenderness and respect. He did get back in and was trying to get asylum through the proper channels.
Steve Paikin on The Agenda presented a panel of ex-patriates who had lived or were raised abroad and had returned to Canada. They presented varying views on adjusting -- to other cultures, and to your 'own'.
The series ends today, but could go on and on -- so many perspectives and stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home